Tuesday 14 June 2016

Creative Expressions Tuesday

MDF Floral Wallhanging

Today I am going to share with you a Wallhanging made from the Creative Expressions By the Sea Driftwood set . Now I know that this is called a driftwood set which of course suggests something to do with the sea but of course being me I went of in a completely different direction !

To start with I assembled the pieces of the set , and I arranged the pieces so that the eventual arrangement was not symmetrical. I painted the whole piece with white gesso . When that was dry I tore pieces of toning papers from the English Garden pad and attached them to the MDF to create a background.

I painted a coat of matte medium over the papers and gesso to seal everything. I then added some stamping to the background using Wateringcan ink . I used the script stamp ( from Textures) and the Floral Flourishes and stamped without a mount so that I could add small areas of the stamps in a random fashion to the piece .


Stamping like this pulls the whole background together instead of it looking like lots of separate bits of paper !



I stamped the lilacs , hydrangeas and peonies using Wateringcan ink because this is less dramatic than using black ink but dark enough to show up . I've painted the lilacs and hydrangeas using the same colours so that they go together but by doing this I have several different shapes to use . I kept the peonies fairly pale to tone in with the pinks found in the paper pad I used .


I cut the trellis using a spell binders die ( there is a similar one on the website which would work just as well but I didn't have that one ) out of black card . I then rubbed Gold Metallic Gilding Polish over the trellis. I felt that the gold was a little to bright so I added some Golden Green Giling Wax to tone it down .
I decided where I wanted to place the flowers on the MDF and then stuck the trellis onto it using foam pads where they would be covered by the flowers. I wanted the trellis raised a little from the background to create dimension. I added some lace and then attached the flowers using dimensional glue . 
The butterflies are from the hydrangea stamp set and I coloured them with the colours from my palette and then washed some pearl mica over them 


The quotes are from the Dream stamp set and were stamped and then triple embossed with clear embossing powder before mounting on black card .



I haven't decided yet how I will hang this on the wall but I think that I may add some chain to the top of the piece .

Creative Expressions items that I used include : ---
Creative Expressions MDF By the Sea Driftwood set .
Craft Consortium English Garden Premium Collection.
Stamps , Just Rite , Floral Flourishes background stamp , Peonies, Lilac Blossoms and Hydrangea Vintage Labels 7 .
Creative Expressions Stamps , Textures and Dream . 
Metallic Gilding Polish, Gold .

If you would like to see what other members of the DT have been doing please look here 








No comments:

Post a Comment